Tuesday 20 December 2011

Keel Foil

In contrast to the original design the lead bulb is not built from two vertical split halves. In order to make it more handy I plan to assemble it from a dozen horizontal lead slabs each of less than 30kg mass. Six stainless steel rods of 16mm diameter are glued into the keel foil to attach the lead slabs. In order to mount or demount the lead slabs piece by piece each one is fixed by three nuts to alternating rods. The inner fastening rods are crossing the foil from the bulb to the lifting tackle. For lightning protection they will be electrical connected to the mast later on.

 Working time been invested: 130 hours

Saturday 12 November 2011

Timber for Building the Keel Foil

Since mid-October, it is too cold outside to work with epoxy.
Therefore I will build the keel foil in my warm cellar now.

I have spent some time wondering what could be the best timber for the keel foil. Ultimately, I decided to use Sapele as recommended by Dudley Dix.

Tuesday 30 August 2011

Friday 26 August 2011

Scarfing Two Sheets of Ply for Bulkhead G

The dimensions of Bulkhead G didn´t fit one plywood sheet. Therefore it was nessesary to scarf two 2500mm x 1220mm sheets.

  Working time been invested: 72 hours

Saturday 16 July 2011


For building the transom-doubler I gathered all suitable plywood restovers and joined them. After the doubler has been cut out and sanded it looks as nice as cut from an entire plywood board.


 Working time been invested: 60 hours

Saturday 2 July 2011

Bulkheads E, F and I

I am delayed regarding my schedule. I rolled up my sleeves and have been cut out three bulkheads  this weekend. Seven of ten bulkheads are finished now.

Saturday 21 May 2011

Bulkhead B

Bulkhead B was made up from restovers. First I have been joined five small plywood pieces. After the epoxy has been hardened I cut out the bulkhead.
Arranged the restovers.
Scarfed and milled joints.  

Transfering the measurements from the offset table to the ply.
Bulkhead has been cut out and sanded

Thursday 5 May 2011

Bulkhead C

Bulkhead C was made up from two pieces to reduce cut-off. The pieces were scarfed between the doublers. I glued scarfing and doublers in one work step. That was not a good idea. After the resin had set I saw a gap between scarfing and doubler. SH...T!

I better should first scarfing, afterwards planning and only then glueing the doublers. I fixed the mishap by widen the gaps using a Multimaster saw. Afterwards I filled the gaps with epoxy resin.