Saturday, 22 August 2020

Tiller Pilot Installed

 After the problems with setting sails described in the penultimate post I installed a tiller pilot today. Unfortunately, I haven't had the time to try it out yet.

Since the tiller pilot can be easily detached for safety reasons, it can also easily fall into the water. That's why I secured it to the pushpit with the yellow strap.

 

Saturday, 15 August 2020

Sailing on the Elbe in Light Winds

We tacked against the ebb current at 2 Beaufort and had to start the engine from time to time in order not to lose too much height.



Sunday, 9 August 2020

Single-Handed Sailing

After rigging the boat last Sunday and changed the bent turnbuckle. I really wanted to sail this Sunday. Unfortunately, no fellow sailor could be found. Everyone had other appointments or wanted to sail their own boat. So I decided to sail alone. The wind was weak. Only 2 Beaufort. It shouldn't be a big problem. But when I wanted to set the mainsail on the Elbe, problems arose. Although I had fixed the tiller with a rope, the boat turned into the wind every time I let go of the tiller to operate the main halyard. I had to keep jumping back and forth between the tiller and the halyard. After the sails were set, I was done.
After I recovered, I considered resolving the problem.
The solution could be a tiller pilot.
I decided to start doing market research right away.

Sunday, 2 August 2020

Ready to Sail (almost)

On weekend we stepped the mast, sorted the sheets and hallyards to new installed clutches, attached the sails, a lazy jack together with a lazy bag.
Almost everything worked without complications. There was only a small mishap when stepping the mast (see next photo).



shroud turnbuckles
The portside upper shroud turnbuckle was tilted and has been bent when the mast was rised.


Friday, 17 July 2020

Antifouling Peels Off

My son discovered some small white spots on the port side next to the keel. A closer inspection showed that the antifouling is peeling off. Fortunately, only the small area next to the keel seems to be affected. But I don't know what the reason could be. I will investigate it the next days.

Area where the antifouling peeled off, after cleaning with a steel brush and washing with salmiak-water
 
Subsequent entry:
The reason for the poor adhesion of the antifouling is probably moisture from condensation or very humid conditions during curing. Thus a waxy film appeared on surface of cured epoxy.

Sunday, 5 July 2020

Trim of the Boat Improved

When the boat was first launched in July 2018, it floated well on the DWL. But only if the crew was evenly distributed on the boat. As soon as there were more than two crew members in the cockpit, the scoop was flooded.

28th July 2018 after launching. The boat floats well on DWL

In order to overcome the problem, I decided to shifted the engine batteries (120 kg) from bulkhead G to bulkhead C.
I will see whether the action was successful in a few days when the boat goes to water.

Engine batteries shifted from bulkhead G to bulkhead C.